10 Facts You Didn’t Know About Hookah
1. A false belief among users is that the smoke from hookah is less dangerous than that of cigarettes. This is wrong! However since people think this is true, it gives a false sense of security and reduces concerns about true health effects. Doctors at institutions including the Mayo Clinic have stated that “use of hookah is equally detrimental to a person’s health as smoking cigarettes,” and a study by the World Health Organization also confirmed these findings.
2. Hookah use may lead to infertility. Yes, you read that correctly.
3. In a one-hour (1 hour) hookah session, users consume around 100 to 200 times the smoke and about 70 times the nicotine as they do in one cigarette.
4. Water pipe smokers are seven times (7 times) more likely than non-smokers to show signs of gum disease and mouth cancer.
5. There are over 250 different kinds of Hookah flavors, and that number continues to rise.
6. Each hookah session (commonly referred to as “a sesh”) consists of 50 to 200 inhalations that each range from 0.15 to 0.50 liters of smoke.
7. Hookah users may become infected with herpes.
8. Chilling with friends and smoking hookah may seem fun and put you in the “cool group.” However, the reality is thirty (30) minutes of smoking hookah is the same as chain-smoking half a pack of cigarettes.
9. Hookah contains 69 different carcinogens.
10. Hookah use may cause impotence. If you don’t know what this means, then here’s your definition: “Impotence is a common problem among men characterized by the consistent inability to sustain an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse or the inability to achieve ejaculation, or both.” – medicinenet.